I have started a new job recently. The hours are longer and I’m getting home later, and the last thing I want to do when I get home is think about getting organised for work the next day. But, it’s necessary, so if there’s time on the weekend, I will try to prepare little bags of pre-made snacks to make my weeknights that little bit more calmer.
I am forever looking for new work snack ideas. Usually I resort to fresh fruit, yoghurt and granola bars, but this can get pretty repetitive, and the latter can be rather expensive. Air popped popcorn, string cheese and carrot sticks with my favourite spring onion dip are some of my special occasion snacks. When the mood strikes, and I’m in a mode of preparedness, I like to make this delightful granola as it makes for a rather substantial snack and lasts some time (that is, until husband discovers it in a container in the pantry). It also doubles as a breakfast which is a nice bonus.
- cooking spray
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine oats, pecans, maple syrup, brown sugar, canola oil and salt in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Evenly spread mixture onto large baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.