Alex started a new job last week. His new job starts at 8.45am an it’s on the other side of the city so the poor dear has to wake up earlier these days – 7.50am! With my 7.30am wake-up I always have (and make) time for a hearty breakfast. I just adore it. Alex, on the other hand, likes to leave the minimal amount of time to get ready in the morning, just so he can wake up as late as possible. He is not a morning person.
With no time for his breakfast, I thought I’d start making “to-go” breakfasts for Alex to eat at work in the morning… and for me to have with my afternoon coffee. I feel it’s a sufficient excuse for more baking.
Lately I have been obsessed with the combination of smooth bananas with crunchy walnuts. I have them on my Weet-Bix as often as I can. So I thought I’d make banana walnut muffins.
These are very good! The best part is when you bite into a crunchy walnut hidden within the soft, moist banana muffin.
These are also the first thing I baked since purchasing an oven thermometer. I bought it off eBay for $2 and it is phenomenal. Turns out my oven is 30°C off which explains why I always have to cook everything longer than the recipe states. With my new thermometer my muffins were well cooked and had a delightfully crispy muffin top. I recommend the investment!
- 110g (¼ cup) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (fan-forced 160°C/320°F). Prepare 12-capacity muffin tins with cooking spray or muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, use electric beaters to whisk butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, banana and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon
- Add butter mixture to dry mixture just until just combined. Fold in walnuts.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.