Christmas is coming. I am forever jealous when my friends exclaim, “I love Christmas!” Christmas for me was never that exciting, but I want this to change. I love the idea of decorating and making a feast for Christmas. I have been looking online for Christmas inspiration, but mostly all I can find is winter Christmas inspiration, so I will have to come up with some ideas of my own, like people used to do before Pinterest. Life can be so hard…
From what I recall, Christmas day in Melbourne is never really that hot. It’s usually a mild day, where people feast on cold meats or seafood. I plan to make a yummy veggie feast this year. I want to make breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and of course cocktails. As it’s just the two of us, perhaps we could spend the day at the beach, a park, the bush… I will have to have a good think.
In the meantime, I decided to do a bit more baking before leaving our humble suburban abode for our new apartment. One and a half more weeks, by the way.
As I have mentioned one hundred times before, I used to be a very fussy little girl. Another thing I first tried this year was jam. I am so ashamed. Jam is amazing! I especially love peanut butter and jam sandwiches, a mix which I originally thought would taste revolting. Wrong!
So this year I have been going jam crazy. So far I have tried strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, peach, apricot, and my favourite, cherry. Now I want to try making my own jam.
This slice includes a delectable layer of jam which gives it that extra fruity sweetness I adore. It complements the buttery shortbread base and chewy coconut topping. Latest workmate compliments include: “Did you buy these?”
The pan I used for this was too small, hence why the biscuit base is so thick. It also had the texture of cake. I highly recommend using the correct sized pan, for more of a crunchy biscuit base.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar, separated into two ½ cups
- 125g (4.4oz) butter, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ¾ cup jam
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F (fan-forced 160°C/320°F).
- Grease and line a 3cm (1.2in) deep, 24cm x 29.5cm (9.5in x 11.5in) baking pan.
- Combine sifted flour, ½ cup caster sugar and butter. Use a food processor or your hands to press in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add 1 egg and vanilla essence. Use food processor or electric beaters to create a soft dough.
- Press dough evenly into the base of the pan. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light golden.
- Spread jam over warm biscuit base.
- Whisk remaining 2 eggs and ½ cup caster sugar in a bowl. Stir in coconut. Spread mixture over jam. Bake for 25 minutes, or until top looks golden.
- Cool completely in the pan. Cut into squares.