I can’t believe it’s already November. Summer is just around the corner. I am very excited about summer this year. We had a mediocre summer last year, and there was only one 40°C day which occurred when I was out of the country. Before that, I have missed every Melbourne summer for two years. Not this time. We’re also moving near the beach in one month which I am so, so excited about. I think we’ll buy some bikes and really live it up this summer.
I have taken a break from sweets cooking for a while because it got a little warm for a moment there and the kitchen was a little too hot for baking. I generally cannot resist baking for too long, so this probably won’t last long, but nevertheless. Also, I’d usually end up eating most of my delicious creations myself, which is not entirely healthy (sigh). So mostly it’s just been banana muffins lately, if anything, because we never seem to be able to use up all our bananas. Although I did try a new recipe for banana pancakes last week which husband noted were rather delicious.
So it’s time for savoury recipes. This was the first quinoa dish I ever made. It is a very quick, simple and delicious side, but also could be eaten as a light yet hearty lunch. Spinach and feta give it a real Greek feel – it’s really a rather perfect combination.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups spinach leaves, rinsed and chopped
- 80g feta, crumbled
- Cook quinoa according to packet directions. Drain if necessary and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with olive oil and gently cook the garlic for about 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and mix until wilted.
- Add cooked quinoa to the pan. Add crumbled feta and gently mix together.