I’ve recently noticed that so many recipes I come across use applesauce instead of oil as a healthier substitute. I decided to buy a little tub to try it out. Of course, my local supermarket didn’t have it in the spot I assumed it would be in. I checked the canned fruit aisle and the jam aisle. I eventually and accidentally found it a few weeks later in the sauce and chutney aisle. Get in my trolley.
My first usage of the applesauce was in one of my chilled breakfast oats concoctions, plus cinnamon. Yummy yum yum. I then noticed that the jar stated I needed to use it within seven days of opening. I was making some delicious Vegemite scrolls at the time and had some puff pastry left over. I decided to try the applesauce here, making sweet little applesauce scrolls. Also yummy yum yum.
On the seventh day, a recipe popped up on my Facebook newsfeed, for… applesauce muffins! Perfect. I was able to finish off the jar with these healthy, delectable, filling muffins. These were perfect during the week for breakfast-on-the-go, pre- and post-workout as well as just for a yummy snack. They are also freezable too (although we finished them off within about five days so this never happened). Next time I make these I’d probably add some sultanas too. I used a new kind of fake egg but you could substitute it for one egg, or two egg whites.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 egg (sub 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb (baking) soda
- ½ tsp salt
- canola spray or muffin cases
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Soak the oats in the milk for one hour prior to making the muffins.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F (fan-forced 180°C/360°F).
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with canola spray. Alternatively, line with muffin cases
- Combine the soaked oats, applesauce and eggin a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb/baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin pan.
- Mix cinnamon and caster sugar until well-combined.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over muffins and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For egg substitute, combine ground flaxseed and water and let soak for ten minutes.