In our house, we love banana bread. I love that it’s considered bread. I think it was called bread instead of cake to make it sound more… innocent. I’m okay with this.
I stumbled across a rather different banana bread recipe a while ago… cinnamon swirl banana bread! How could I resist?
Banana bread is so versatile that it can be eaten for breakfast, morning/afternoon tea or dessert… or all of the above.
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 75g (2.6oz) butter, melted
- ¾ cup raw sugar
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F (fan-forced 160°C/320°F). Line a loaf pan with baking paper (crossing two sheets of baking paper into the pan works best).
- Mix bananas, butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a bowl. Add salt and baking soda. Gradually stir in sifted flour until just combined.
- In a small bowl, combine ⅓ cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon for the cinnamon sugar.
- Add half of the banana batter to the loaf pan and sprinkle just over half of the cinnamon sugar on top. Add the remainder of the banana batter and then top with the rest of the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through.