I’ve been feeling quite inspired this week and today I decided to bake again. Tomorrow is my friend’s birthday celebration, which is always a good opportunity to bake. Wednesday nights are when my husband is busy playing soccer, so a quiet night at home turned into a fun baking session. Maybe this could become a thing.
For some reason I was attracted to this recipe for a slice with a Weet-Bix base. I’m not sure why I was drawn to this slice, but I believe that perhaps it had something to do with a sort of nostalgia I feel for Weet-Bix, or, because maybe I tried something similar when I was younger. And on a slightly related note, what ever happened to Fruity Bix Bars? They were pretty amazing.
My baking to-do list features about five Weet-Bix chocolate slice recipes. I chose this one because it seemed easiest, and also because I had most of the ingredients on hand. Not sure if I’ll ever get around to baking the four others but we’ll see as time goes by.
This was really quick and easy to make, and also very sweet and chocolate-y. I look forward to sharing it with my friends tomorrow, as well as my chocoholic colleague (who I must say seemed very excited when I told him I was baking again tonight).
Might I also thank my husband (my photographer), who came home late and didn’t mind when I asked him to photograph my slice even though there was no natural light for him (and he still did a great job!)
*Note: These were a huge hit at work! Comments included: “Amazing!” “Loved the choco slices!” “Great work!” and “You are a master chef!”
- 3 wheat breakfast biscuits (such as Weet-Bix or Vita Brits)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 150g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa, extra
- 3 tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F (fan-forced 160°C/320°F). Line a baking pan with baking paper. When baking slices I like to place two pieces down in the shape of a cross so that I can easily lift the slice out of the pan later. I used a 18cm x 18cm square pan but any similarly sized pan will do.
- Break up breakfast biscuits with your hands, or, if you want the slice to have a smoother texture, use a food processor. Place in a bowl with coconut and sugar. Sift in flour and cocoa and stir.
- Melt roughly chopped butter in a small saucepan over low heat and add to dry ingredients. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and press down very firmly. I like to use my hands for this part. Make sure it's really firm, otherwise it will be crumbly later. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift icing sugar and extra cocoa in small bowl to make icing. Add water and stir well.
- Take slice out of the oven and ice immediately. If this proves difficult, put slice in fridge for about 20 minutes to harden a little, or add more hot water to icing to make it silkier. Cut into slices or squares.