My friend recently moved house and realised she had too many clothes. She asked if I wanted her Threadless Red tee. Yes, please:
However, she did not want my money. I felt that I would still like to give her something in return. For a while I have been toying with the idea of my childhood dream, which was to create my own bakery called Nikki’s Bikkies. Well, I don’t really plan on starting a bakery with that name, but I do, however, want to start baking more and produce homemade gifts for my friend. So as you can see, this was the perfect opportunity.
I decided to make Lemon Slice, a favourite of mine. I found a recipe which I have used in the past in Costa Rica (with limes, and yes, just as amazing).
I purchased some cellophane and made a cute little gift. I am very happy with my accomplishment and do hope my friend enjoys my first homemade present! The leftovers are coming with me to work tomorrow, and the rest will find their way into Alex and my bellies by the end of the week.
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 100g (3.5oz) butter
- 200g (7oz) Arnott's Granita or McVities Digestive biscuits
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp lemon or lime rind
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 40g (1.4oz) butter
- 2 ½ tbsp lemon or lime juice
- Line a 3cm-deep, 15.5cm x 25cm pan (10in x 6in) with baking paper two times, from left to right and from top to bottom, to create a sling and allow for easy lifting when slice is ready.
- Place condensed milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until butter melts, for about 5 minutes.
- Place biscuits in a food processor and process to fine crumbs. Combine crumbs, coconut and lemon/lime rind in a bowl. Add hot butter mixture and stir until well-combined.
- Press biscuit mixture into prepared pan and refrigerate for 1 ½ hours.
- Place icing sugar, butter and lemon/lime juice in a bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until spoon. Spread icing over refrigerated biscuit base and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.